February 19th the whole family including cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. met at the Harper- Alexander house which is located in Scott Arkansas. This house belonged to my great-grandparents. My maternal grandmother grew up in the house. It was built in 1904. The house was designed by architect Thompson. He was a part of the Cromwell firm in Little Rock. He also designed Marlsgate located in Scott as well. This house a absolutely stunning. If only the floors could talk. Harpers bought the house in the 60's and just recently remodeled the interior. It is used for ministry purposes currently. The house has amazing handcarved elements throughout the house. The dining room even comes complete with a buzzer on the floor. This buzzer is built into the floor where the head of the table would sit. He would push it with his his foot when the "help" was needed. I was able to sit in the very room that my grandmother grew up in as a little girl. It was almost too much to take in. I cant wait to post more pictures of this beautiful home. I wish so dearly that it was still in the family. Charles Alexander sold the house when his health was too bad to keep up the farm and the upkeep of the house.
There's an oil painting that hangs in my grandparents house of this house. I remember staring at it countless times and wishing that I could go visit.
l





Matthew and Chanie drove up for the weekend. It was so good to see them and hug their necks. Chanie is due in August! We are so excited to add another baby to the family!
No comments:
Post a Comment